Version 0.5 has several improvements over Version 0.4.
- In addition to supporting Tomb Raider I, VDos32 now also supports Redguard.
For running either game in Glids mode, you also need Glidos.
Redguard has been tested only in Glide mode so far.
- VDos32 now cooperates with Windows far more cleanly.
In particular this means there is no risk of the app locking up when you
press F1 - F4 in Tomb Raider I.
- VDos32's unlocking should now be stable under Vista, so you
wont need to unlock it on every use.
- VDos32 has its own Miles Sound System emulation, thus avoiding the
need to interpret the realmode MSS drivers.
- A different way is now used to access the LDT, which so I am told may work
in 64bit Vista.
I sort of doubt that it will, but its worth a go.
Download v0.5 of VDos32 from here.
It does not require installation.
Just put it any where that you find convenient,
and run it from there. Use the "Load" button to select a DOS progam to run.
Before first use, VDos32 requires unlocking via the internet.
Just click the "Unlock" button.
For this early release, there is no payment or registration required.
(The unlocking service for this and other versions may be withdrawn at
some later date.)
Glidos, from v1.34 onwards, can make use of VDos32.
You just need to place VDos32.exe in your Glidos folder and
select "Use VDos32" from the Glidos configuration dialog (the setting is under the "DOS" tab).
Glidos usually installs to C:\Program Files\Glidos.
It is within that folder that you should place VDos32.exe.
Known problems in v0.5 are:
- Version v.05 of VDos32 probably will not run under the 64bit versions of XP and Vista.
- Only Tomb Raider I and Redguard are supported.
- When playing Tomb Raider I in software mode, pressing F1 may set a video mode VDos32 can't handle.
Pressing F1 again should get it back to a working state.
- When playing Tomb Raider I in software mode, there are no background sounds.
- When playing Tomb Raider I in software mode, only Windowed mode is supported.
- Sometimes, Tomb Raider I will run very slowly. Click on the window to get full speed.
Copyright © Paul Gardiner 2006 - 2007